Tuesday, June 28, 2011

U.S. National Whitewater Center Run

Written by Owen

On Saturday we decided to do our run at the U.S. National Whitewater Center. They have a great system of trails through the nearby woods. Michael and I had 8 miles scheduled.

We didn't know how long the trail was so we just took off running, using my GPS watch as a guide. The trail was nothing like I expected. I was expecting a nice wide paved or packed gravel trail similar to the Clark Creeke Greenway near our house. I soon realized that was not the case. The trail was intended more for mountain bikers, but runners were also welcome. It was a tiny trail, too narrow to run even side by side. There were tons of tree roots poking up everywhere, with the path winding in between the trees, up and down hills around lakes, etc.

After we completed the first lap we were at 2.8 miles so we ended up doing 3 laps. It was the longest we had run to date, on the most difficult terrain (by far) to date. Michael fell 5 times, but each time got right back up and continued our run. Those tree roots were hard to navigate. Because the path was so skinny, and because I was setting the pace (he's too fast for me), I had to run in front with him behind me. Each time he fell, it was the exact same situation. I wish we had video of my point of view. I'd hear an "ugh", then turn around and see the same scene every time: Michael rolling on the ground.

Overall great run, but will probably stay away from that one except maybe for a family walk/hike. All I need is a turned ankle before my marathon.

These pictures were taken early in the morning before the whitewater center had opened:


No comments:

Post a Comment