Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Malissa's Thoughts About Her First 5k Race

Written by Malissa

Now that I've had a few days to digest my first 5k race, I wanted to jot downs a fun things that I learned from the race.
I shouldn't start in the middle of the pack. Because I'm a slow runner, I was forced to start at a faster pace than I'm use to.
I learned that running is a mental game especially when there are other runners on the road. Because I usually run by myself, I wasn't use to people passing me. I'm not going to lie, it messed with my head a little. I had a hard time just focusing on my pace.
That it really does help when you have someone cheering you on. I was really tired torwards the end of the race and out of the corner of my eye I see Alicia, Jhanvi, Michael and Udit walking up the hill to look for me and as soon as they saw me I heard Alicia cheering, "Mommy you're doing a great job! You're almost there!" It was exactly what I needed to turn my jets on and sprint the rest of the way.
Even though I just started my running journey, I can be an inspiration to other runners. After the race a lady came up to me and said that seeing me sprint at the end pushed her to sprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment