Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Marathon for the Family, One Month Away

Written by Owen:

I have been training for this marathon for over five months now.  I've ran over 800 miles in that time.  While running those miles, each day I do the math as to how long it is before November 12th.  November 12th is one of those dates now that just screams at me. So today when I looked at the date and it said October 12th, I was overwhelmed with emotions. One month to go.  The funny thing is, I feel 100% prepared.  I'm not nervous.  I'm anxious.  I can't wait to get out there.

I've been doing all the reading I can on marathon running. One thing I read was an idea of what to do to help the miles pass easier while running the marathon.  I will assign each mile a family member.  While running that particular mile, I will think about that person individually.  I will remember fun times we've had together, I will be thankful for that person and what they mean to me.  I will also be carrying a voice recorder with me while running.  I will take notes at each mile on what I'm feeling like, unique things about that mile, etc.  I will then write that all up into the post-race blog.

Counting my wife, kids, brothers, sisters, parents, and grandparents I have 28 people.  So counting the 26 miles, plus the time before the starting line (waiting to start, and actually running toward the starting line), plus the 385 yards after the 26th mile marker heading to the finish line, there are 28 slots.  Here is the pace chart I will have on my arm during the race:

I chose to put my dad in the last 385 yards leading up to the finish line because he is why I am doing this. My dad died of a heart attack while training for his 5th St. George Marathon in 2000.  I'm not sure what emotions and thoughts I will be having that last 385 yards, but I know it will be centered on my dad.

I let Malissa pick which mile she wanted and she chose the 26th.

I also let my mom pick, she picked the 13th mile for the following reason: Because it is near the halfway point, but more for Hebrews 12:1 (12+1=13) "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and LET US RUN WITH PERSEVERANCE THE RACE MARKED OUT FOR US."

For the rest, I had Excel randomly select a spot.

I hope anybody that can will come out on November 12th.  Here's a map that show's the route.  It shows the estimated time at each point when I will be there, just hover your mouse over the mile marker.  Malissa plans on going to several of the spots to see me pass.

For those of you that can't make it to Charlotte, here are the actual results that will be updated every time I cross one of the timing mats.  Just hit Ctrl+F (find) and search for Lillywhite.

The finish line is at the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. and Davidson St. in uptown Charlotte.  My goal is 3 hours and 40 minutes which would put me crossing the finish line at about 11:25 AM (hopefully sooner).

No comments:

Post a Comment