Saturday, March 16, 2019

Run the Creek 5k

March 16, 2019 9:00 AM
Charlotte, North Carolina


Time Pace Division Division
Place
Gender
Place
Overall
Place
Bib #
Ali 26:39.3 8:35 F14-17 5/9 ? 64/212 117
Owen 26:39.8 8:35 M40-44 5/9 ? 65/212 118


Written by Owen:

I really enjoyed this race.  It was exactly one week before my marathon in Connecticut.  So I had 8 miles on the training calendar.  Because this is our neighborhood race, both Ali and I wanted to run it.  So I decided to do both.  I left my house at precisely the correct time so that I could run 5 miles and show up at the start of the race just when it was starting.

Ali and Malissa drove to the race and picked up my bib for me.  I got there just as they were singing the national anthem. 

My goal was to try and keep up with Ali.  Because I was going to use this 5k as my qualifying time to get assigned a corral at the Peachtree 10k on July 4th in Atlanta, I wanted to finish with her so we'd run that race together (60,000 people run that race.)

The race started and she was way ahead of me in no time.  I tried to keep her in my sights.  Slowly but surely over the next 2.5 miles I caught up with her.  She had a really good kick at the end and beat me by 15 feet or so.  Because she started before me, our chip time ended up being almost exactly the same (she beat me by half a second.)  Mission accomplished!

I love this race and hope to run it every year.




No comments:

Post a Comment