Monday, September 7, 2015

2015 Heart of America Marathon

September 7, 2015 6:00 AM
Columbia, Missouri



Time Pace Division Division
Place
Gender
Place
Overall
Place
Bib #
Owen 4:40:27 10:42 M40-44 9/12 65/102 93/162 140

Written by Owen:

We started this trip off with a stop in Kentucky to see Grandma Phillips (Torre's mom), Aunt Robin, and Aunt Melody.  We ate at a Mexican restaurant and had a really good (but short) visit.


Then it was off to our halfway hotel in Shelbyville, Kentucky.


 The next morning we drove the rest of the way to Columbia, Missouri.


Monday morning (it was Labor Day) I got up early and walked to the start.  I had really let my fitness slip, so I knew it was going to be a tough day.  The heat, humidity, and hills made it for a really tough day.  I started out in the 9 minute range per mile, then slipped to 10, and was in the 11's by the end.

My family was supportive, as always, and I sure looked forward to seeing them multiple times.  This was a smaller race, but was really well organized, and had the most amazing support people.  There were some people that I saw 7 or 8 different times handing out supplies, wet towels, etc.  They would hand them out, then drive forward a few miles and do that over and over again.



Running backwards so I could get a shot of the incline


  


My favorite moment of this day


 When we returned home, the Griffiths had decorated my lawn/driveway/door.  They are such good friends.




My Garmin data:

No comments:

Post a Comment