Monday, September 17, 2012

2012 Hit the Brixx 10k

September 15, 2012 7:45 AM
Charlotte, NC

Time Pace Division Division
Place
Gender
Place
Overall
Place
Bib #
Michael 43:15 6:58 M1-17 3/7 61/301 66/604 553

Written by Owen:

Michael's goal going in to this race was to beat the family record for a 10k, which is held by me at 43:13.  He already holds the family record for a 5k, and plans on beating my record at next week's half-marathon.  That would only leave me with the marathon record.  Of course, I know all of my records are inevitably going to be broken by Michael.  I'm just having fun with him about it while I can.

This course has some hills, and I set my PR on a very flat course.  I told Michael not to worry, that there will be plenty of chances in the future on flatter courses.  I didn't know what to expect when I was waiting for him at the finish line, as we don't run 10k's as often as 5k's.  I timed some people that finished in front of him how long it took them to run from where I could first see them, to the finish line.  That way I knew when to expect Michael if he was going to beat me.

That time came and went, but only by about 5 seconds, and then there was Michael.  Check out the video below, but he really turned it on and missed my time by two lousy seconds.  I was really hoping he would beat it.  He was disappointed in that, but very proud that he beat his PR by exactly a minute and a half, which he ran on the same day and course I ran my PR.  To beat your previous PR from a flat course in January on a hilly course in September, by 1:30 is just amazing.

I'm so proud of Michael, and am looking forward to next week's half-marathon that I get to run with him.

Michael attaching his timing chip to his shoe before the race.
Just before the start.
Just before the finish.

Michael knew it was going to be close.

One of my favorite award ceremonies ever, watch the video below.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Michael! Love the video! We really might be watching a future Olympian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. He is definitely blessed with the running gene and he didn't get it from me ;) ~Malissa

      Delete