Saturday, March 3, 2012

2012 HabiTrot 5k

March 3, 2012 9:00 AM
Concord, NC



Time Pace Division Division
Place
Gender
Place
Overall
Place
Bib #
Michael 20:34 6:38 M1- 14 1/2 2/48 2/115 58

Written by Owen:

We signed up for this race with the sole purpose of qualifying for the "Sub-A" corral at the Peachtree 10k in Atlanta on July 4th.  I picked this race because it was flat, and was the last race before registration opens for the lottery for Peachtree. Both Michael and I already qualified for the "A" Corral when we ran in the Hot Chocolate 10k in Asheville, NC.

I had to accept my first DNS because of my stupid foot issues, but I enjoyed cheering Michael on.  Because of my foot issues and lack of training, I didn't train Michael as much as I would have otherwise.

It was a pretty small race, only a couple hundred runners or so.

I sure hated not being right next to him.
Just after the race started, the race director asked Kyle and Alicia if they would hold the finish line for the winner.  They were pretty excited.

Kyle and Alicia practicing.

Watching the clock tick by was agonizing.  Our goal of 20:15 was pretty fast, and with our lack of recent running, I was afraid it was too ambitious. At 19:30, I saw the leader turn the corner, and guess who was right behind him? I was so excited to see Michael in 2nd place!  By that point I knew he couldn't hit 20:15, but I didn't care, I am so proud of him.

This is the race winner, Kyle and Alicia did a great job.

Here comes Michael, just 35 seconds behind the winner.


Michael finished with a time of 20:34, a new PR.  He was thrilled to receive his first running trophy, and not just any trophy, but a trophy for 2nd place OVERALL.  The crowd was very supportive and the announcer did a great job, watch the video at the bottom of this post.



Here's the video I took:


No comments:

Post a Comment