Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sunset Run 5k

September 2, 2011 8:00 PM
Salisbury, NC
Time Pace Division Division
Place
Gender
Place
Overall
Place
Bib #
Michael 21:23 6:54 M1-10 1/5 25/138 28/267 109
Owen 22:27 7:15 M35-39 2/11 34/138 40/267 258

Written by Owen

We're always looking for races to run.  We've also been waiting for Malissa's dad (the kids call him Opa) and step-mom (the kids call her Neina) to be able to watch Michael run.  So when we found this race in Salisbury, which is near Spencer, where he lives; plus he'd be working at a booth before the race, we signed up.

This was a night race, starting at 8 PM. It was part of a kids festival Salisbury was putting on. The festivities began at 4 PM, so we headed up there, grabbed a bite to eat and met up with Opa and Neina at around 4:30.  Malissa's brother Michael and his wife Sarah also were in town.

Opa's booth was one where you got to smash a car, that was fun...




The kids did other fun stuff like bingo...

The weather turned nasty so we headed back to Opa's house for an hour or so, for some visiting time.  Carla's sister and her husband joined us there.

My goal for this race was anything below 23 minutes.  That's what it takes to qualify for the "A" corral at the Peachtree Road Race.  Michael had already qualified for that corral and I want to be with him.  I knew all I had to do was beat 7:25 per mile and I'd do it.

The race started and Michael said "See ya!" and he wasn't kidding, he was gone!  I never saw him again.  I ran the first mile at 7:00 flat.  I always start races fast no matter how hard I try to slow down.  The second and third mile were right around 7:20 each, so I did it!

Michael's goal was 20:15 so he could qualify for the "Sub-A" corral at the Peachtree Road Race.  I didn't think he could do that (yet) and was worried he'd go out too fast.  After I finished, I asked him how he did.  He missed a PR by 2 seconds and finished at 21:23, which is a 6:54 pace.  That kid is amazing.

Here's everyone while Michael and I were running:


Here's Michael and I right after we finished:

Then we went to the award ceremony, which was delayed by a band that did not want to stop.  I've never seen so many "one more song"s in my life.  I knew Michael would win his division, but I told everyone to hang around until they announce my division, because there was a slim chance I could place.  Sure enough, I had.  2nd Place in the 35-39 men.  My first AG award.

Here are video highlights:

By the time the award ceremony was over, it was after 10 PM, and I had to get up at 5 AM for my 17 mile run (I know, bad scheduling) so we headed home.  Below is the Garmin data for the race and for my Saturday morning 17 miler.

No comments:

Post a Comment